Saturday 19 July 2014


The weather is a subject of continuing fascination on an island where the weather changes frequently and unpredictably. Most folk south imagine Shetland is cold and windy all the time. Today the sun is shining brightly and a gentle breeze caresses the land and I have just enjoyed a lunchtime sandwich sitting outside on a garden bench in my shirtsleeves, Just thought I would mention it.

The last couple of days have involved a studio flit. I am moving all my painting gear from the old medical centre at Saxavord to the old RAF admin wing. The new studio space is very similar to the old and the advantage to me in the short-term is that I can leave stuff there over winter.

Longer term, next May to be precise, the space can become an exhibition site and after the successful Unst Modern show that lasted less than two weeks, we, that is glassmaker Cheryl, sculptor Tony, potter Frances and I, can show work there all through the summer.

There’s room for two other artists in the same wing and Tony is thinking of setting up a studio there as well. The limitation is that any artist using the space has to be a dry, rather than wet artist. It is not a place for sloshing things around!

It will be interesting to see how things go. Maybe Unst will get a reputation as the arty place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment